Poisonous Flowers to Pets

There are many poisonous flowers to pets and the ones I could identify that I have had in or around the house include the Bleeding Hearts, Lilies, Tulips, lily of the valley, Morning Glory, and daffodils. 

Last month I wrote an article about poisonous succulents., you can read about it here. The information I found especially the cruel repercussions caused me to wonder about other flowers that I might be having around the house that are poisonous to my pets.

The list is not comprehensive but I hope it’s helpful and provides some guidance when dealing with either of these flowers.

Bleeding Hearts Flower

The red and pink colored ones are used to symbolize romantic love while the white colored is used to symbolize purity.

The Bleeding hearts are poisonous and should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.

Bleeding hearts flower

Lilies

There are different varieties of lilies, the poisonous ones include the Calla lilies, Peruvian lilies, and Peace lilies.

The flowers are poisonous for your pets such as dogs and cats as indicated by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. However, some of the plant parts are safe for other animals such as birds which love the seeds, as well as other wild animals that eat the rhizomes.

calla lilies images

Tulips

Tulips are a common spring flower and yet they are poisonous flowers to pets. The flowers can be found in a variety of colors and are used often in arrangements. Tulips are poisonous and can cause hypersalivation, diarrhea, and intense vomiting. The toxicity of the flowers is more concentrated in the bulbs compared to the leaves.

Pet owners with tulip plants should ensure that their dogs do not dig up the bulbs and chew them.

flowers

Lily of the valley

 

The lily of the valley is a beautiful flower. It is included in flower arrangements by decorators as well as florists for everyday bouquets for home and office decorations.

The flower is poisonous and can cause vomiting, cardiac arrhythmias and even death in serious cases.

Morning Glory

The flower is not commonly used in arrangements. The seeds of the morning glory can cause hallucinations and even diarrhea in pets.

Moon flower facts

Daffodils

The daffodils are a common flower that many people do not know that it is poisonous.

Daffodil ingestion can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and respiratory depression. All the parts of the flower including the flowers, plant leaves and stem and bulb are all poisonous.

Identifying poisonous flowers to pets is not easy especially if you are not familiar with the flowers. If you are concerned that your pet ingested any of these flowers or notice any symptoms that would indicate ingestion, you should seek immediate veterinarian care from a local veterinarian.

You can also consult with the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 or the Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *